Wednesday, March 4, 2009

This One's for Jenny

If we were regular friends I'd call you but since we're blog friends I blog you.

On your recommendation I just finished The Book of Lights and read The Chosen not too long ago. While I enjoyed both books I have to admit I was surprised by them. Your impression of them was so strong that I expected to feel more passionate towards them. Until the last 5 pages of The Book of Lights (where I cried) I wasn't really sure how I felt about it. I wondered if you would share your impressions of them, you said that, "It will change your life. Or, in the words of A.S., it will start your life" and I definitely didn't feel that much pull from them.

Book of Lights did made me think about the history of the world and uselessness and cruelty of war and I feel like I know more about the routines of Judaism than ever before but other than that I don't think it's a book I would pick up and read again.

I'm definitely open to more reading suggestions though.
L

1 comments:

Jenny said...

Thanks for the post - I tend to use the expression "change your life" a little too freely. However, with "The Book of Lights" my life was minutely changed because of the emotions and subject matter of the book. I will definitey think of some more book ideas to pass on.